Re: oil cooler/oil heat exchanger combo?

Brilliant, my man! I'm assuming that you're in agreement with my idea of mounting it backwards, correct? I can explain it to myself and have it make perfect sense. And then I can run it past myself again and prove that it won't work at all. :^)
Get yer self two elbow outlets that the standard thermo sit in ( like
just under the water pump ).  Place a thermostat in one. Get a section
of pipe that fits on the end of said thermo elbow and place the second
elbow on the other end of this short section of pipe. Use two machine
bolt/nut combinations to hold the rig together. Splice the thing into
the stock oil to water cooler and 'chu got it.
No worries, man. The check was sent out yesterday. :^)
Don't forget my royalty check.
The stock oil to water cooler mounts between the oil filter mount and
the filter. I don't think the (US) thing has a thermostat in it but I
could be wrong about that. It allows coolant (hot or cold) to flow next
to the oil, thereby cooling the hotter oil.
-correct on all counts.
Then there is a Thermostatic plate type oil cooler that mounts between
the oil filter mount and the oil filter. It doesn't let oil flow through
it until it gets up to temp.
Actually, the european type is not a sandwich plate between the oil filter mount and filter. The thermostat is actually *inside* the mount itself. Therefore with the euromount and stock exchanger combined, were at the stock length and appearance.
So- (If I have it up to this point), the stock oil cooler will allow the
oil to track the coolant temp more closely, warming up from cold to 100c
(nominal). Around this time the oil being closer to the combustion
begins to exceed the coolant temp and the relative coolness of the
coolant begins to carry the hotter oil's 'excess' heat away.

Then- the Thermostatic Plate Oil Cooler begins to get hot which opens
it's thermostatically controlled valve, allowing hot oil to flow out to
the multi row, external oil 'radiator'.
Correct.
BRainstorming 1st Takes-

- Greater overall load capacity for transporting heat out of the engine.
- Two stage (well three inc. water jacket) cooling system. Overlaps,
possibly a good thing.
Up to a point this is all good. In the beginning when just warming up, it'll all happen more quickly. After that has occured, however, I don't see the two systems working together most efficiently. The oil cooler will simply assist the radiator in blowing off heat; that's all. Actually, I guess that the number one question here is whether the perfect temperatures for the oil and water are the same. If they are, then there is no need for this combination. However, I'm figuring that there is a difference. And as long as the two can be eventually separated, it is a good modification for the car.
- Can the plate oil cooler's thermo be set to a certain temp or is it
'One Size Fits All"?
Nah, it is set and fixed.
- Don't see how it can Cool Too Much if the thermo don't open (because
it doesn't get hot enough).
It definitely can't cool too much. If anything the question is will it cool enough. As long as the water can abe shut off from the exchanger when it gets hot, it'll be gauranteed perfect.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut