RE: oil cooler/oil heat exchanger combo?

hmm interesting, the only "bad" thing I can think of is that you loose
one of the benefits of the thermostatic oil cooler, and that is that
your oil  heats up quickly to the "optimal" temp, and then stays there.
If you keep the stock cooler, then the "only" benefit you will see with
your mod is an (disputed, see below) improved high-end cooling capacity.

-Dispute-  I'm not sure that the stock cooler will be doing much help at
high temps. As you said, the water temps are pretty high, possibly near
boiling, and certainly much higher than ambient temperature.  So at high
temps, with the oil thermostat fully open, the water temp might be
higher than the temp of the oil returning from the oil cooler, and thus
the heat-exchanger is working more to cool the water temps. :-)

If more cooling capacity is needed, get a bigger oil cooler. :-) Your rig
will probably work out just fine, and will definitely be much cheaper.

BTW I've put in the euro-GTi filter mount in my 85, so if you have any
questions about by-passing the existing system, lemme know.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco