Re: Scirocco Top Speed?

At 02:05 AM 9/2/99 , UrGTI@aol.com wrote:
>How about this one for all you Physics majors.................
>
>Is there a formula to calculate the potential top speed of any given car?

Jasin,
	As quite a few people from the list have seen, I wrote a program in High
School that does this exact thing-- I enter the dyno results (the whole
torque curve, not just the peak), the gearing, tire, weight, frontal area,
and drag coefficient, and the program spits out:

Top speed (km/h)
0-100 km/h acceleration times
Best shift points in each gear.

The program has proven over the years to be accurate to within 1 or 2 mph
when I use the actual torque curves, and to within about 0.3 second for the
0-100 run.

It's far more simple than CarTest, but it's far more accurate since it uses
the actual dyno results rather than a mathematically estimated torque curve
based on peak HP & Torque numbers and an assumed loss to the wheels.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested, let me know... you
can fax me your dyno printout, and I'll enter it and email you the results.

Jason

Brett: I'm still waiting for you to dyno the beast so you, Jay, and Riley
can finally have the virtual race! :)