Re: CV joint

<x-flowed>Be vary wary of those non-german axles (reman) i put somee on my wifes car
about 6 months ago and have replaced both axles twice due to bad joints out
of thee box and torn boots. I stress that they are extremely poor quality
and if you dont mind doing the axle replacemnt every 2 months then go for it
and save. If that doesnt sound like fun then stick with oe shit.HTH BTW
Dave, where do you work? Are you in Oly?

>From: "Dave and Carol Ewing" <dcewing@prodigy.net>
>To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: CV joint
>Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:48:55 -0700
>
>Listers,
>
>Well, I finally blew up a CV joint.  I have never had this happen before so
>it was rather interesting buy boringly uneventful.  I had just come back
>from lunch (at work) and had to leave to run a quick errand.  Once I pulled
>out of the shop parking lot I shifted from 1st to 2nd and as I accelerated
>something just let loose and the rpm went up and the car slowed down.  I
>coasted into the store parking lot about a half a block from my shop and
>checked under the hood.  I thought that the shift linkage had come off and
>went into neutral, but once I jacked it up and checked, that was obviously
>not the problem.  Especially when the left front wheel (with the right
>front
>wheel on the ground) was free wheeling!  So, I figured out the problem
>fairly quickly and went back to my shop and found a reman. left front axle
>(lifetime warranty) for 49.99!!!  Since it was so cheap, next month I am
>going to replace the other side for preventative maintenance.  Of course
>this price is MY cost as a technician and having some VERY good contacts in
>the Seattle/Olympia/Portland area.  I'm glad on one hand that it was
>uneventful in the way that it didn't bust anything else up in the axle
>area,
>but on the other hand, no cool story to tell.  Once I got the old axle out
>you could tell the bearing cage had split in half lengthwise (in a circle)
>and was basically exploded.  I had NO warning at all.  No clicking around
>corners, no growling sounds, no clunks on take-off, or stops, nothing.  I
>was surprised.  Just thought I'd let you all know.  Next time you replace
>that CV boot, make sure to check for stress cracks between the the bearing
>holes int he bearing cage!!!  Oh yeah, one more thing.  These were from a
>16v Scirocco (88) and they were stock so they did last 11 years and over
>150,000 miles, (not all Grandma driving either!).
>
>Dave
>77 16v Rabbit
>
>Dave
>

>--