CV joint

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Listers,

Well, I finally blew up a CV joint.  I have never had this happen before so
it was rather interesting buy boringly uneventful.  I had just come back
from lunch (at work) and had to leave to run a quick errand.  Once I pulled
out of the shop parking lot I shifted from 1st to 2nd and as I accelerated
something just let loose and the rpm went up and the car slowed down.  I
coasted into the store parking lot about a half a block from my shop and
checked under the hood.  I thought that the shift linkage had come off and
went into neutral, but once I jacked it up and checked, that was obviously
not the problem.  Especially when the left front wheel (with the right front
wheel on the ground) was free wheeling!  So, I figured out the problem
fairly quickly and went back to my shop and found a reman. left front axle
(lifetime warranty) for 49.99!!!  Since it was so cheap, next month I am
going to replace the other side for preventative maintenance.  Of course
this price is MY cost as a technician and having some VERY good contacts in
the Seattle/Olympia/Portland area.  I'm glad on one hand that it was
uneventful in the way that it didn't bust anything else up in the axle area,
but on the other hand, no cool story to tell.  Once I got the old axle out
you could tell the bearing cage had split in half lengthwise (in a circle)
and was basically exploded.  I had NO warning at all.  No clicking around
corners, no growling sounds, no clunks on take-off, or stops, nothing.  I
was surprised.  Just thought I'd let you all know.  Next time you replace
that CV boot, make sure to check for stress cracks between the the bearing
holes int he bearing cage!!!  Oh yeah, one more thing.  These were from a
16v Scirocco (88) and they were stock so they did last 11 years and over
150,000 miles, (not all Grandma driving either!).

Dave
77 16v Rabbit

Dave