Is it bad when...... ?

Is it bad when you take out your shift-bushings & the
old ones disintegrate in your hands?  Sheesh - I just
got done changing mine, and I thing that 1 out of all
were still good.

Anyways - my question

What is supposed to be in the dust-boot underneath the
gearshift lever?  Is it some kind of grease?  My boot
was torn, and what was left in there reasonably
resembled greasy styrofoam.

So, the short shift kit & weighted shift linkage are in
now.  And basically everything except the shift rod
from the shift-knob to the selector rods to a bunch of
stuff in between has been replaced... sheeit - I don't
know how the hell my car even went into gear as worn
out & loose as all that stuff was.....

Tomorrow I get to figure out where in the hell all the
oil under the entire bottom of my engine is coming
from... Fun Fun Fun

Laters

===
Mark