Re: is this about right?

>I went to a midas near me to have some stuff checked out (this is
>actually a respected one, that doesn't try and dick you over,
>strange as that may seem) and they came up with a couple of
>problems on my car, which i went and verified myself and found to
>be true, my question is if these prices seem to make sense:
>the pipe that comes directly after the cat (my car is an 86 8 valve)
>has a hole in it and needs top be replaced, both of my rear breaks
>need to have their cylinders replaced as well as their shoes
>replaced, and i need to have the front left lower ball joint
>replaced(there was a BUNCH of play from this ball joint, which is
>kinda freaky)
>the total price for everything plus installation was about $400.
>about 95 was the ball joint,about 80 for the exhaust pipe plus the
>gaskets and clamps from both ends (the old ones are NOT
>reusable, they looked horrible), 190 or so for the pads and
>cylinders and such, and another 40 for the allignment.
>this of course is all including labor.
>So, doe sthis sound about right?
>thanks for any help you might be able to give, and the sooner the
>better,
>thanks,
>Rob Luhrs
>Chelmsford, MA

If you are not at all interested in doing the work yourself,
then this isn't too bad...  Would they use parts that
you supplied?  I'm sure you could do better at one of our finer
Scirocco list endorsed venders. :)  If the pipe after the cat is
bad, chances are the muffler is bad too, something to think about
anyway.  A cat back system is going to be around $120-$150.  A
rear brake job should run about $120ish in parts for both sides
(cylinders, new drums, pads, springs), and a ball joint is about $22
with bolt kit.  Most of what I've detailed would be all quality
German parts too.  Just some points of reference.

==Brett