RE: Clutch cable - cablooie

OK, sound to me like the clutch cable got yanked through the firewall.
That's not good. But I think that is where you should focus your
attention.

First. Buy a new clutch cable. You will need one anyway.

Second. Get a bentley manual. The level of usefulness is way beyond the
haynes or chiltons.

Third. Try to take out the old cable. (Try? There is no try.) Pray that
the rest of the firewall mounting area is still intact.

Fourth. Install the new cable. Drive away into the sunset.

As far as the clutch lever goes, all of the return "force" comes from the
pressure plate or a secondary spring that is inside the 5th gear housing
of the tranny. You should not be able to see it.

try lifting up on the clutch lever. Since your cable is screwed up you
should be able to lift it quite a bit. I'll guess ~4inches. Normal is
1/2 inch tops. The lever should also want to return to the "unlifted"
position. (this is due to the spring in the tranny). The point at which
you can no longer lift up the lever is when the pushrod contacts the
thrust plate on the pressure plate. It is too stiff for you to compress
with your hand.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco