Clutch cable - cablooie

Something went nutty with my clutch cable today.  I checked my Haynes
manual and the digest for a solution, but no luck.  Hopefully someone could
educate me?

Here is what's up:

While upshifing, I depressed the clutch pedal and right as I was passing
through neutral while traveling from 4th to 5th, I lost all resistance on
the clutch pedal.  Next thing I know, I'm stuck in neutral and the pedal
won't return to where it's supposed to be.

I coasted to a stop, and took a look:

-the clutch cable is still attached to the clutch pedal.
-the clutch cable 'holder' (grommet?) in the firewall is still in place.
-the cable has not broken
-the cable housing (hard plastic), right next to the firewall, has split in
four (length-wise.. like a bananna peel) for about 3-4 inches.

On the other end of the cluth cable is the clutch lever.  The lever is
shaped like a 'Y'.  One part attaches to the trans, one part attaches to
the clutch cable, and the other part has a hole which is not attached to
anything.

Any ideas?  What is supposed to make the clutch pedal recoil?

Thank you for reading, and thank you for ANY advice!

-Aaron
 84 8V