Re: Clutch cable - cablooie

You wouldn't see the spring - it's inside the transaxle. That hole isn't
supposed to be attached to anything, don't ask me why it's there. The
clutch is disengaged, but you can only get it into gear when the car is
turned off? Disengaged is the position that it would normally be in when
the clutch pedal was on the floor. I think you mean that the clutch is
engaged. It is normal to be able to get the car into gear with the engine
turned off. Is the clutch lever on the transaxle trying to pull the cable
back down? Or are you saying it's loose? If it's loose, then you probably
need a new clutch or release plate, which requires dropping the
tranmission. I understand that you're saying that the clutch cable is
loose, but where? All the way down? Is it loose at the lever, too? If so,
then you probably need a new clutch - it may have blown apart and is now
stuck permanently engaged (I've had this happen before) or the clutch rod
went through the release plate.
	Good luck!
	-Josiah
	Weare, NH
	'84 GTI
	'87 QSW
	'86 Golf
	http://bork.hampshire.edu
	Self-Employed VW Mechanic (for the summer) : )