Re: drag strip times

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:36:08 -0400 "the mad bastard"
<the-mad-bastard@home.com> writes:

>    how hot was it that day?  AFAIC, that plays a huge role in how are
cars
>run, especially if you've done a bit of work on the intake.  the last
time i
>hit the local 1/4 mile track i ran a best time of 15.536 when i was
hoping
>for a high 14sec pass.  2 days before, i ran with a buddy of mine in a
>hyundai scoupe turbo who i always run with (we are each others measuring
>stick, we always win or lose to the other by no more than a fender).
>SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP-SNIP!

I keep reading you guys saying "tunning" this, "temp" that, "altitude"
ect. The most important aspect of getting down the quarter mile is the
driver, above all.

There's many things that "the driver" needs to know before he/she can be
consistent enough to see gains or losses in changes made to the cars tune
up or setup.

He/she needs to know:
1) burn out or no burn out
2) Launch RPM?
3) clutch positioning  (Slip or dump)
4) making the car stick off the line
5) shift points
6) making to GO straight

All of these things take alot of time to figure out for each car. You
cant expect to jump into a car and immediately run consistent times.
There will always be variables until you figure what works for you as a
driver and for the car, mechanically.

Hey Kevin, where do you run at and why the hell don't you ever tell
somebody? You think we wouldn't like to race too or what?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and