engine trouble

I already posted this but did not receive many replies. I have a weird
problem that I can't figure out. My car surges at constant speeds and
idles realy bad, I also do not have as much power as I did before. This
all just happened all of a sudden, I was at a stop sign and everything
was running fine, then the idle dropped and I had no power. The car is
so sluggish until about 3000 rpms then it picks up a little but still
surges. It feels like I am running out of gas. I have checked all the
obviouis stuff filled up with quality gas, used a water remover in the
fuel. Any one have any Ideas?
thanks, dave gray