Re: Emissions Results-- let's compare!

16V JASON wrote:

> Hey gang,
>         Just thought this might be an interesting way for us to see how our cars
> are running, comparitively.  It might help some of us to troubleshoot
> problems...
>
> Anyways, be sure to state model, engine, mods, miles, etc.
>
> These are the results for my 87 16v with 45,494 miles on it at the time
> (5/11/98).  Original wires, Bosch 3-electrode plugs with 20k miles on them,
> original Cap and Rotor, original O2 sensor.
>
> Results at idle:                        Limit:
> RPM                     872
> HC (ppm)                 18                     220
> CO (%)          0.00            1.20
> Dilution                15.1            (Valid)
>
> Results at 2500rpm:             Limit:
> RPM                     2370
> HC (ppm)                16                      220
> CO (%)          0.01            1.20
> Dilution                15.2            (Valid)
>
> ----------
> jason@scirocco.org
> 1987 Scirocco 16v
> 57,000 original miles.
> http://members.aol.com/rocco16v

Context: This is an '84 GTI engine in my '81 S1.

1.8 liters, GTI 'big valves', yada, yada.
154,000 miles, internal mods unknown, prob. none.

RPM	1054
HC PPM	  17
CO%	0.00 (?!)
O2%	12.4
CO2%	6.2

TBerk
w/ wrong Dist, Leaky Exhaust joints, and old tired sparky plugs.
ND said my CO2 was way high, prob. due to leaks in the exhaust.