Re: This ever happen to you?

>To: kondor77@hotmail.com
>Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: This ever happen to you?
>From: Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com>
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:49:19 EST
>

>On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:58:04 PST "Jorel Jackson" <kondor77@hotmail.com>
>writes:
>
>>You lost fifth gear all of a sudden?
>

>All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it just stopped pulling the
>gear. The shifter didn't move, I thought I had lost power until I muted
>the stereo and realized my motor was reved to 6K.
>

>>Could you go back into fifth, only
>>it would pop out after awhile?
>

>I shifted into 4th, it worked. Accelerated to a shifting point for 5th.
>Nadda. Nothing. No grinding, no engagement nothing. It shifts into 5th
>gear, there's just nothing happening. When fully stopped I can shift it
>into 5th and let the clutch out and nothing happens. Its just like its
in
>neutral. No grinding either. No sound, just the sound of the idle.
>I drove it another 30 miles today and I will drive it tomorrow (25
miles,
>uphill from 300 ft elevation to 4,000 ft elevation.) 50+ miles.
Saturday
>I will open up the 5th gear housing and see what's up. Worse case I
>install the 9A or even worse, put the FF back in. GADS!
>

>              Shawn Meze

Your experience sounded familiar, until you added more details. Mine
didn't do that at all. I could still grab fifth. It would stay there for
a few minutes then pop out. I was in the middle of North Dakota when it
happened, five hundred miles from home. Drove back in fourth most of the
way. It turned out I had lost all lubrication in there. The result was a
dead transmission. Sounds like you don't even have a fifth gear anymore.
Just be careful driving it tomorrow. Don't get yourself stranded.

JSJackson '85 Scirocco