Re: Mk1 bumper shock drilling

Hey dude,
I just did my bumpers on my '82, it made a huge diference on the front,
a little on rear. It sucked the front in at least three to four inches.
The rear could go more if you cut off the tow hooks, but I wanted mine
just in case.

I found it way easier to just take the bumpers off the car. On my mkII I
just removed the high beam head lights to get easy access to the bumper
bolts. Then I drilled three or four small holes in the front of the
shock. and one hole in the very back of the shock. If just drill the
back you will only let the compressed air out. The front contains all
the fluid. Man I was suprised at the amount of fluid in there, and the
amount of pressure. It coated me and my little brother on the first one,
then just him on the second one, cause I drilled and then ran. He should
have been quicker.
I then hammered on the back to bottom out the absorber, and put a sheet
metal screw in through both layers, bolted them back on.
I like the look much better.
c-ya, dave gray