Re: more info on wheels, please?

don't miss out on the other biggie: www.tirerack.com

>I guess my question at this point is this... is there a consensus on the
>quality of wheels made by different manufacturers?

I don't think we've ever discussed it like that, but I bet that you
can find someone who's had problems with just about any wheel mfg.

>Do some wheels have a better track record than others?

I've heard some bad things about TSWs (South African?), but that may only
be due to the larger number of those rims sold.  Italian MSW / OZ / Momo
are  pretty decent, as are some of the German rims like ATS or Borbet.
Most of these are rather expensive, but like someone just mentioned, you
generally get what you pay for here...

>I realize that in most cases you "get
>what you pay for" but I really just can't see my self letting go of more
>than $150 a wheel.

What size rim do you want?  At 15x7, you're probably looking around $150
(give or take 10%) each for a decent rim...unless you shop with Jim Buck,
he can get a  good deal sometimes (but there may be a small defect or two,
ask him about this for more info...)

> I'm looking for more in the $100 range.

Then you're most likely shopping for a 14x6 rim.

>I figure
>after wheels, tires and everything else that goes into it, I don't want to
>drop more than $750.   I realize that $1000 might be more realistic but I'm
>a little uh.... frugal.

If you're stuck on that, then that pretty much rules out many 15x7 wheel
and tire combinations.  Many 195/50 - 15 tires run around $80 - $90 each.
Sometimes you can catch a sale though and score some for as low as $65-$70
each.  Add $10 - $15 each for balancing and shipping.  Bump up your cap to
$800-$850 and you'll be able to afford 15's.  Up to you of course, whatever
you really want... :)

>Derek

==Brett