more info on wheels, please?

First things first...

Thanks to all for the help with me stupid newbie questions!

Next...
I was ecstatic to see the wheels thread startup...  This might be
off-topical, but....

I've been needing to get some new wheels as of late and have been perusing
the various sites... www.tires.com, www.wheelmart.com, etc.  I had almost
decided on the Imola by TSW but I just don't feel quite educated enough on
getting a decent set of wheels for my 16v.

I guess my question at this point is this... is there a consensus on the
quality of wheels made by different manufacturers?   Do some wheels have a
better track record than others?  I realize that in most cases you "get
what you pay for" but I really just can't see my self letting go of more
than $150 a wheel.   I'm looking for more in the $100 range.  I figure
after wheels, tires and everything else that goes into it, I don't want to
drop more than $750.   I realize that $1000 might be more realistic but I'm
a little uh.... frugal.

Thank in advance for any information or opinions...{I may regret asking for
opinions... :)      }

Derek