Re:

DaleWitt wrote:

> It should be mentioned that Audi really never had a problem...It was people that
> did not know how to drive.  In Europe it was never an issue because people there
> do not tend to believe every thing that the Media puts out.  60 minutes retracted
> the BS but damage was already done.  Today the Audi has recovered completely
> from the bad press and doing fine.  Scirocco note.....Rocs kick ass!

To elaborate further.. the "problem" turned out to be the location of the
pedals.  In the 5000, they're located somewhat unusually towards the center of
the car.  People would THINK they were pushing on the brake, would hit the gas
instead, and WHAMMO!  All those brainiacs investigating these accidents should
have smelled a rat when people kept swearing that the car took off while they
had the brake pedal mashed to the floor.. we all know that's basically
impossible, when the brake system turns out to be in perfect working order.

20/20 did another show about a year ago on the Jeep Cheerokee.  Seems they
have the same pedal configuration, and owners are having the same problem
that the 5000 owners had back then.  Chrysler finally bowed to pressure and
put an interlock on the thing so that you can't put it in gear without
having your foot on the <real> brake first.. people were doing the
exact same things they were doing in the Audi, and again SWEARING that
they had their foot on the brake when the car (I use the term loosely)
took off on them..

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA