Re: Parts Upgrades...

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:14:01 -0800 "roccet" <roccet@pacifier.com> writes:

>a 16v driver and a 8v driver as well as experience in the porsche
department
>i love my 16v and i love my 8v there are much differences in the two
though
>stock for stock yes the 16v will outperform motor wise.

Stock 8V -VS- stock 16v.

16V wins.

>if building a race car :) the obvious choice is the 8v.. why obvious?

I couldn't disagree more. None of the "real" (Meaning F1, CART, even the
IRL) race motors use 2v per cylinder. 4V per cylinder  is very common
with 5V motors comming into use more often.

Now, back to VW 8V & 16V related discussion......
The 8V is limited solely by the amount of air it can pass thru its
valves. That's why the power falls off dramatically at @6K. It simply
cant flow more air. This is where the 16V shines. High RPM's allow much
more air to flow which also nets more power.
Look at the comparable displacement & compression ratio figures.

Lets use the 8V RD block with its 10-1CR and 1.8L. Puts out 100hp.
The Scirocco 16V PL block has 10-1CR and is also 1.8L in displacement. It
puts out 123hp. Other than the oil squirters on the 16V block, the motor
are the same. (other than the obvious different heads.) So where is the
extra power comming from? The answer should be obvious. the 16V flows
more air so its capable of making more power.

The trade off between the 2 motors is weight. (I have no facts right in
front of me so if im wrong, somebody please correct me. Id like to know
for fact myself.) The 16V weighs more than the 8V. What's the tradeoff VS
gains? 23hp IS 23 hp. Cant front on that.

>try taking a 16v up to 11k
>rpms? cams are tripping over each other trying to keep up.. (experience
in
>that department as well)

I don't follow as to how the cams can be " tripping over each other
trying to keep up".
If you are talking about valves floating then this can be corrected with
using stiffer valve springs. Id never event want to take an 8V up to 11K.
Scarry. A 16V I can see doing IF its built using all the latest
technology and materials available. If Mercedes can run their 45lb turbo
V8 motors to 14K then why not a VW 16V. Also considering the flow
capability of the 16V, you would need some MASSIVE valves in an 8V to
make it perform anywhere near the 16V's capability.

>so build a 8v that can withstand the pressures of the high rpms and you
will
>have yourself a Roccet to
>mind you yes it will cost you some cash but very rewarding.

I plan too. I should have my 2.0L 8V in my car by late fall next year.
(Damn FSP Project sucking my funds dry im afraid.)
I'll be the first loyal 8V'r to admit, the 16V out performs the 8V, but I
love the challenge of doing MORE with less. Otherwise id have me a fat V8
car.  :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V          82' Scirocco GTi 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and