Re: bottom question: RPMs

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:13:25 EST DNK006@aol.com writes:
>this:  is a 16v bottom end (rods, bearings, oil) any different that an
8v?

Its the same other than the pistons are differnt. (10-1CR and all the
"stock 8V" pistons are 8.5-1 or less on Scirocco's.) and there are oil
squirters on the 16V where as the 8v doesnt have them.

>I am wondering about the redline.  On an 8v it is much lower (like where

>your 16v peaks) but could an 8v handle any higher?

Sure, given the right mods the redline can be moved up as well as the
power increased.

>Not that it can go, or should
>go, any higher without some mods.

Mods would be needed. You get what you have, without mods.

For example:
Bigger valves
ported head
lightened valve train
cam sprocket
balanced bottom end
lightened flywheel

No reason this motor couldnt redline at 8K.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and