Re: Parts Upgrades...

<x-flowed>>In a message dated 12/16/99 4:27:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>nmalone@sumagroup.com writes:
>
><< Yessssss, 8v's kick ass, they are not as wheeny as some of you guys think,
> when I eventually get min >>
>
>Well not to start a 16v 8v war but as a 16v driver I love it and think it is
>great I do remember reading in one of the car mags that it out performed and
>accelerated a 944.  Whether it can do it to day, keep in mind that the cars
>are 13 years old now, so I don't know but one thing I can tell you.  i would
>love to have some power under 3500 rpms or I guess it is the torque that the
>8valves have but I would not trade it for the melon balls that the 16v has
>after that rpm:)
>
>Brian 86 16v

I'm sure this post will be a welcome addition to this... :)

As this topic has come up around 37 times before on this list, it's
usually been settled for good once someone (me, this time) points out
that stock 1.8 8v to stock 1.8 16v, the 16v comes out on TOP at EVERY
part of the rpm range for torque and horsepower.  The usual dyno
comparisons are Shawns and Jasons.  But feel free to hunt up the factory
or magazine ones as well, The story will be the same.  The only difference
anyone is feeling comes from the higher numeric final drive ratio that
came with some 8v's.  In 8v's equipped with the 4k transaxle, it's 3.89:1,
while all 16v's (2Y & AGB predominately) have a 3.67:1.  This can result
in a bit less 'snap' to the acceleration when comparing the two.  However,
most 8v's came with a 9A (or similar) transaxle, which has the 3.67:1
final drive.  When comparing these two, the 16v will come out on top
everytime, everywhere.  Please don't go on and on about mods here, as then
this goes out the window.  I'm only talking stock-2-stock.

==Brett