Fuba Antenna power antenna wire?

Hey,

I was installing a stereo head unit i'd forgotten I had in my
Scirocco today when I was about to plug in the antenna wire and noticed a
small black wire running with the antenna wire. I was trying to figure out
what its purpose was when I remembered hearing that the fuba is too short
to pick up a strong signal so it has a built in inline amplifier. Then I
began to wonder if maybe the amplifier was on all the time or just when
the radio was on. I started to think maybe it was a power antenna wire
that I should hook to my head unit.

I looked in the electrical diagrams in Bentley but it was bright out so
reading it hurt my eyes and I didn't see much useful information in the
radio schematic. Anyway, I asked a friend about it and he said he'd never
seen one on his car (and hence never hooked it up to his aftermarket
cd/radio deck) but he was beginning to wonder if that was the cause of his
terrible reception (!)...

So, if anyone would care to verify or invalidate my theory, please do so!
Hopefully it is the signal amplifier turn-on lead and not only will it
help me out but maybe solve the reception problems other people have been
having.

Thanks,

-Toby

--