Re: [tech] [non-scirocco]CIS-E problem

On Tue, Sep 8, 1998 6:45 PM, Wm. Josiah Erikson <mailto:josiah@gsinet.net>
wrote:
>This is a problem I have with an '87 Fox. The fuel mixture seems to be
>continually leaning itself out. Basically, what happens is that it will
>run fine for a few days, and then one day it will start, but won't
>accelerate (starving for fuel). Opening the hood and turning the fuel
>mixture screw clockwise until it runs best fixes the problem, but only
>for a few days. Could the mixture screw actually be vibrating itself
>counterclockwise? Or could this be a computer problem? (I am unfamiliar
>with the CIS-E system's differences from CIS). The oxy sensor is brand
>new Bosch, if that matters.
>    TIA!
>    -Josiah
>    '83 Scirocco
>    '84 GTi
>    '86 Scirocco 8v
>    '87 QSW
>    http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah

I just had a similar problem that turned out to be the idle air screw on
the back of the throttle body. Try adjusting that instead of the mix. A
bunch of people here told me that the o-ring on the screw wears out
allowing it to slip. I replaced the whole screw and no more problem.

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v

- --