Re: valve cover gasket

On Wed, Sep 9, 1998 2:09 AM, Greg <mailto:fren0027@tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>Does anyone have any tips for getting my valve cover gasket to seal?
>I've just replaced it and tightened the nuts down further but I'm still
>getting that oh so delicious smell of burning oil off of my exhaust
>manifold.

The trick is really to avoid overtightening. It's pretty close to what I
would think of as "finger tight". Do the inner nuts first, then work your
way to the ends, tightening until they just give resistance. Check for
drips, if leaking, barely tighten them further, like a half turn or
something. It doesn't take much. Also, if you do decide to go for the G60
rubber gasket, you don't really *need* the replacement studs.

>Also, clues, research, hints into that seat question; how to repair,
>short of buying a new seat, the seat back angle adjustment knob?   It's
>not the plastic on the knob, it's the actual mechanism to keep you from
>flopping into the back seat.

Liquid wrench and vice grips?

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v