Re: need speedo advice/part needed

> I took out my gauge cluster to fix an intermittant odometer (mark at
> adirondack said just superglue the pinion onto the metal shaft).

I've just knurled the shaft with a set of needlenose vicegrips before, then
put the gear back on.  Superglue sounds like a good fix too.

> In so doing,
> when I removed the cable from the back of the cluster, the little square drive
> adapter came with the cluster and is no longer on the cable. now what do I do-
> do I need a new cable? the drive piece does have a stress crack in it, but the
> speedo always worked. the odometer, once in a while.

Yes, you need a new cable.  It goes from the back of the speedo cluster to
a small black box next to the drivers side strut tower.  That box is the O2
sensor milage-counter-warning-list-activator that turns on the oxy light
every so many miles.

> also I tried spinning the speedo over by hand and the worm gear for the pinion
> of the odometer does not seem to be moving. is the head unit bad?

This is probaby the reason your odo wasn't working, pull the shaft and use
superglue or knurl up the shaft before putting the gear back on so it won't
slip any more.

> anyone want to part with a Momo steering wheel adapter? the wheel I have was
> on a BMW 320I and the splines are wrong.

Buy one.  They're $40-$50 from a place like UltraPerformance.  I'm sure that
you could do better elsewhere too...

> Ken

==Brett

- --