Re: Timing Belt replacement....prblms...help!

Is the mark on the cam sprocket lined up with the top of the FRONT of the cylinder head? Is the crankshaft pulley on correctly? (It only goes on one way... that little dimple in it fits into a little knob on the crankshaft sprocket)
    Good luck!
    -Josiah (who had an '84 GTi that wouldn't start for 6 months, until he finally thought to check the cam timing)

Victor Farren wrote:

> OK, I replaced the timing belt for the first time over the weekend.  I thought it all went well until I went to start the car.  The engine turns, but does not start.
>
> This is what I did.
>
> I followed the instructions in the Hayne manual to a tee.  I took the H20 pulley off, released the tension on the belt by turning the bolt on the tensioner.  The belt came off, no problem.  I lined up the marks on the crank shaft sprocket and the intermediate sprocket.  Next, I lined up the mark on the camshaft sprocket to the top of the cylinder head.  I put the belt on, and increased tension on the belt by turning the tensioner.  I had to do this a couple of times b/c the hash marks on the camshaft and
 crankshaft pulley/intermediate shaft sprocket would move when I put tension on the belt.  I reset the marks and reapplied tension acouple of times until I got it so that the marks didn't move too much (1-2 mm--is that too much).  I turned the crankshaft by hand for a few revolutions to make sure that the marks still lined up, and they did.