Re: Timing Belt replacement....prblms...help!

On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 10:30:20 -0400 "Victor Farren"
<vfarren@smtp.cdie.org> writes:

>I go to start the car and the motor turns, but it doesn't start.
>
>NOTE:  I know that I screwed up to begin ...I know I f*cked up!

You are ok Victor. Heres the skinny.

You dont need to align the intermediate shaft at all. Just do this and
you will be fine.

Reset the flywheel mark to 0.

0

The "V" represents the mark on the tranny. You will need to remove the
big plastic cover to do it.
The "0" is the zero degrees timming, AKA, TDC.
Now, check to see that your mark on the cam gear is level with the
surface of the top of the head. (Where the valve cover sits). If you have
the valve cover on the car, then it will be just below the level of the
valve cover.
Now, take off your dist. cap and look at where your rotor is pointing.
Follow the #1 spark plug wire and see if its where the rotor would be
pointing if the cap were on the car. If not, you can either pull the
distributor, rotate the shaft and reinstall it to where it should be
pointing, OR, you can rotate the spark plug wires on the cap. Either way,
it does the same thing. What ever is easier for you. Me, I rotate the
shaft on the distributor. Its easier for me. YMMV.
This should get your car running for you until you can get a timming
light on it.

Any questions, ask Dan May.

l/j.  :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and