Timing Belt replacement....prblms...help!

OK, I replaced the timing belt for the first time over the weekend.  I thought it all went well until I went to start the car.  The engine turns, but does not start.

This is what I did.

I followed the instructions in the Hayne manual to a tee.  I took the H20 pulley off, released the tension on the belt by turning the bolt on the tensioner.  The belt came off, no problem.  I lined up the marks on the crank shaft sprocket and the intermediate sprocket.  Next, I lined up the mark on the camshaft sprocket to the top of the cylinder head.  I put the belt on, and increased tension on the belt by turning the tensioner.  I had to do this a couple of times b/c the hash marks on the camshaft and c
rankshaft pulley/intermediate shaft sprocket would move when I put tension on the belt.  I reset the marks and reapplied tension acouple of times until I got it so that the marks didn't move too much (1-2 mm--is that too much).  I turned the crankshaft by hand for a few revolutions to make sure that the marks still lined up, and they did.

I go to start the car and the motor turns, but it doesn't start.

NOTE:  I know that I screwed up to begin w/ b/c I did not mark the relationship of the camshaft sprocket to cylinder head and crankshaft pulley/intermediate shaft sprocket before I took the belt off.  I had had such a hard time getting the @$#%!!! allen head bolts off of the water pump pulley and crankshaft pulley (in order to remove $%!!! timing belt cover) that Igot really excited when I finally got the ^@%!! bolts off.  I proceeded to remove the belt w/o checking te relationship...I know I f*cked up!

Question:  Could it be that the timing is way off?  Is it that I am just getting a spark to the wrong cylinder, and it is so off that the motor won't start.  Is is just a matter of doing the timing?

I have not checked the cap and rotor and spark plugs yet...will check them tonight.  I am assuming they are ok (but we all know what that means) b/c they are fairly new.  Assuming it ain't the cap/rotor/spark plugs, is is the timing?  HELP!

Oh yeah, car ran fine before replacing the belt.

Victor J. Farren
Research & Reference Services
PPC/CDIE/DIO/RRS
Tel: (202) 661-5842