Re: Instrument Illumination (the lack of)

Yeah, my headlight switch has blown about twice before, and both times it
was the little arm of the dimmer that slides along the coils for the
potentiometer

At 05:52 PM 11/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Mark Thomas wrote:
>
>> Got in my car before, tuned on the ignition, and turned on the lights.
>
>> A sort of fizzing, crackling sound came from somewhere and the
>instrument
>> lights were really dim.
>> Turned the lights off then back on again. This time there was no noise
>but
>> there wasn't any dash lighting either.
>> The headlights still work though.
>>
>> Has anyone got any suggestions.
>> Please say it's just a fuse.
>
>I watched something very similar happen to my friends '87 16v, it was
>the
>potentiometer for the dimmer switch, you can get a headlight switch from
>wrecking yard cheap and change it without taking apart the dash. If you
>want to
>be sure that's what's wrong if you take the switch out you will notice a
>little
>contact that slides on a track. What I did was shove a piece of aluminum
>foil
>in between the contact and track, and the dash lights worked. I would
>NOT
>recommend trying to fix it like this as it could be a fired hazard and a
>poor
>repair if it worked. A potentiometer (like a volume knob on a stereo)
>creates
>resistance by turning power into heat, whatever happens the heat is a
>factor,
>when my friend turned on his lights there was a little puff of smoke.
>One other
>sign is the knob will turn much easier than before. I believe this is
>most
>likely your problem since if your headlights still work you know there
>IS power
>to the switch. Hope this helps! Good luck...
>

>--

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S JH -- turbo soon to come!
      San Diego, CA
"If God had meant for us to use the metric system, we would've been born
with ten fingers and ten toes."