Instrument Illumination (the lack of)

Mark Thomas wrote:

> Got in my car before, tuned on the ignition, and turned on the lights.

> A sort of fizzing, crackling sound came from somewhere and the
instrument
> lights were really dim.
> Turned the lights off then back on again. This time there was no noise
but
> there wasn't any dash lighting either.
> The headlights still work though.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions.
> Please say it's just a fuse.

I watched something very similar happen to my friends '87 16v, it was
the
potentiometer for the dimmer switch, you can get a headlight switch from
wrecking yard cheap and change it without taking apart the dash. If you
want to
be sure that's what's wrong if you take the switch out you will notice a
little
contact that slides on a track. What I did was shove a piece of aluminum
foil
in between the contact and track, and the dash lights worked. I would
NOT
recommend trying to fix it like this as it could be a fired hazard and a
poor
repair if it worked. A potentiometer (like a volume knob on a stereo)
creates
resistance by turning power into heat, whatever happens the heat is a
factor,
when my friend turned on his lights there was a little puff of smoke.
One other
sign is the knob will turn much easier than before. I believe this is
most
likely your problem since if your headlights still work you know there
IS power
to the switch. Hope this helps! Good luck...