Re: Galvanizing

"Wm. Josiah Erikson" wrote:

> How do you tell if a VW is galvanized? I seem to remember that some of
> them are. My mom's old '85 Jetta TD was galvanized, I know- it said it
> on the original paperwork. And you could tell- it had not a spot of rust
> on the whole thing.
> Things like this make me wonder:
> My old '83 Quantum GL5 Wagon, which had 113,000 miles on it when I sold
> it, had been bought new by my grandparents, perfectly maintained, and
> garaged all its life, was rusted through the fenders, rocker panels,
> bottoms of the doors, floors, and rear hatch. It was a complete
> rustbucket. Whereas my '83 Scirocco, which had well over 300K on it and
> had been beaten to hell by teenagers all its life and never garaged at
> all, had nary a spot. Plenty of dents, but no rust.

     I have noticed this type of thing myself... There are many factors
effecting rust on vehicles.
I have heard people say that if you park your car in a garage the extra heat
makes it rust faster, I believe this is a proven fact, as heat speeds up many
chemical reactions. Salt, and de icing chemicals used on roads can speed up
rust also. Rubberized undercoating (or lack of), Living near the ocean, etc....
One good idea is to have undercoating applied professionally, another idea is
to hose down the under carriage of your car every once in a while, especially
after it snows. I had an '82 Scirocco with a bad rust problem, and an '80
rabbit wiht very little so I can relate and often wondered the same thing.. :-)