Re: Fair price?

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:51:27 -0500 "Jake of Woodstock" <djj@ulster.net>
writes:

>Hi.  My name is Jake and I am somewhat new to these great little cars
>known as Sciroccos, and likewise new to the whole VW scene in general.

Hi Jake, welcome to the list! There is much info available to you here.
ASK. :)

>I thought maybe I could describe the car a little and y'all could give
>me a little feedback on if this is a decent deal or not.  The car is a
>black '87 Scirocco 16v with 104,000 miles.  It is entirely free of rust
>and the paint and body are very good.  It doesn't have any power options
>except for a power driver side mirror, which doesn't work.

Thats odd, I thought the 16V's came with P/S, P/M, P/W's? it sounds like
the owner added a P/M as I dont think they came as one. I think they were
installed as a pair. Well, the fact it doesnt work makes it pretty
worthless doesnt it.

>It runs
>perfect except for a somewhat loose feeling transmission.

Loose how? Loose as in it moved around in the engine bay, or the shifter
is just sloppy?

>it are the non-working parking brake (I'm told they all break, no pun
>intended)

No, they break when the owner neglects to maintain it. Whats broken
exactly? The cables or the parking brake mechanism on the calipers? Those
do tend to freeze but depending on their state of freezure (<-- Hey, new
word!) you might be able to restore them to working condition.

> the muffler, a rip in the leather-trimmed driver seat, and
>the bald tires.  I'm having a hard time negotiating with the owner, who
>is somewhat of a dick, and the price that he is quite firm on is $2,450,
>after much negotiation.  I've pretty much fallen in love with the car,
>plus it is convenient because this guys lives like two miles away from
>me.  I would really like some feedback if anyone has anything to say
>about this deal.  Thanks in advance.

>From what you day, the car is only worth @ $1500. There are too many
things that need fixing and you can easily spend $1000 on the needed
repairs. Especially if you will need to pay somebody else to do the work.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and