Re: Fair price?

At 03:39 PM 11/22/98 EST, you wrote:
>>I thought maybe I could describe the car a little and y'all could give
>>me a little feedback on if this is a decent deal or not.  The car is a
>>black '87 Scirocco 16v with 104,000 miles.  It is entirely free of rust
>>and the paint and body are very good.  It doesn't have any power options
>>except for a power driver side mirror, which doesn't work.

The power mirror switch controls both side mirrors. If you try it again,
check to see if either mirror works. Then twist the switch 90 degrees, and
see if you can now control the other mirror. But hey, if the owner thinks
the PM don't work, don't tell him they do:)

>>It runs
>>perfect except for a somewhat loose feeling transmission.

By loose do you mean that you can move the shifter around a good bit with
the car in gear? If so, this is a matter of redoing shift bushings, which
as others have mentioned here is pretty easy. And if you buy a short shift
kit( really improves shifting), the kit comes with replacment bushings, and
I think can be had for around $50.

The seat is a common problem, the muffler, you will be looking at a few
hundred dollars to get replaced. Does it leak oil? Is the car very noisy?
Has the owner changed the timing belt recently? These can add up to several
more hundred dollars to repair, if they haven't been taken care of properly
by the current owner.

Brad