RE: New

what kind of funny noise?  mine made a funny noise too....
before it died. mine sounded like it was missing a gear too, it made the
noise mainly
when i let off the gas while it was still in gear.  it was loudest in
5th gear, quieter in
each lower gear.   however, it was not a missing gear.  16V trannys are
prone to
popping off the rivets that hold the ring gear in place.  sounded like
when you were
little and put a playing card in your spokes...a very metallic version
of that.  had to
get a rebuilt and put it on.  if you are going to do the work yourself
(and if that's what's
actually wrong with it), it's not too hard.

http://www.spiretech.com/~vw6spd/rivets.htm

this link explains it all, and they have the kit for $35.00.

chris
86 16V scirocco