[tech] pulling

We're talking about an '84 8v here..
when I accelerate, it pulls to the right. When I let off the
accelerator, it pulls left. What should I check? I find this odd....
alignment is good... about one degree negative camber on both wheels and
zero toe. Left tie rod end needs replacing, but it's not terrible. Could
just tires do this? The right hand one is corded on the inside, and both
are worn badly on the inside, due to some moron who aligned the car 1/2"
toed out with Blizzaks on it... odd.
Wheel bearings, CV's, ball joints seem to be good...
    Any comments, suggestions and ideas would be welcomed.
    TIA,
    Josiah
    '84 GTi (away for the winter)
    '86 Scirocco 8v (finally back in working order! and for sale)
    '87 QSW (daily driver)
    http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah