Re: Rally tire/Winter tire question

Crane, Damien wrote:

> Being a rally guy, I have an irrational need to be sideways, I plan to get
> some good snowtires (probably Guardex) for the front and leave
> all-but-one-seasons on the back.  (There is _nothing_ like balancing a full
> opposite lock slide all the way around a cloverleaf!!!!!!     ...in the
> middle of the night when there is nobody else around, of course)

Damien,

 As a rally guy, I would think that you prize balance over
tail-happy. If you really like to run hard in the snow, I would
recommend finding a good rear wheel drive vehicle. My 66' Type 1 was
an absolute blast in the snow. It gave a level of control that a
front wheel drive car will never be capable of. My personal choice,
If I had any money, would be a Lancia Stratos. Of course a Sport
Quattro would be a lot of fun too.

 As for the Scirocco, a car known for great handling, I would have
to say that matched snows all the way around is the way to go. The
balance will be much better, and the tail (at least in my car), can
still be brought around on trailing throttle if you desire. Your
blasting around the clover leafs may not be as much fun, but having
the car swap ends under heavy braking in traffic on a snowy morning
could be a major bummer. Bridgestone feels strongly enough about the
subject, that they will only let their dealers sell Blizzaks in sets
of four. I know that you are an adult and can make decisions for
yourself, but there may be people on the list that may take your
lead without knowing the full ramifications of the decision.

 Sorry if I sound like a mother hen, but I hate the thought of
people getting hurt when we are supposed to be having fun.

Later,
	Jon

Jon Auringer
J.Auringer@astronautics.com