RE: Rally tire/Winter tire question

Hey Danny (and the rest of you guys)

I am a rabid avid rallyist who happens to have used rally tires in the snow
in the past.  My advice is... DON'T.  At least don't expect gravel tires to
do well in snow.  Look at where snow tire design is going -- sipe, sipe,
sipe.  It seems that they have figured out that it's the edges that grip on
slippery surfaces, and not big tread blocks and lots of open space.  About
the only rally tires available here are Michelins, and while they are
available in a range of different tread patterns and compounds, none of them
seem like they would work well on snow/ice.  There may be special rally snow
tires available from Buffum's place (Libra) or DiMarco (I think 'Sube
Sports), but I don't know.  If you look at what WRC cars use in the snow,
they are about 2 1/2 inches wide and tall.  They would be terrible.

What will you be driving on?  If you have to go through deep snow, I think
everyone agrees that Hakkapelittas are the best.  But most people end up
driving on packed snow/ice more, and that mean you have a number of options.
There is a new Blizzak out that is supposed to be good, and Pirelli has some
ice compounds that should also be good (although only a few models in 14
inch sizes).  Both of those would suck on pavement.  It seems that the Yoko
guardex is a very good all around compromise.

Being a rally guy, I have an irrational need to be sideways, I plan to get
some good snowtires (probably Guardex) for the front and leave
all-but-one-seasons on the back.  (There is _nothing_ like balancing a full
opposite lock slide all the way around a cloverleaf!!!!!!     ...in the
middle of the night when there is nobody else around, of course)

Good luck, have fun, and be sure to give a report when you make a decision.

Damien