SV: SV: What I have to do before storing my scirocco?

> Roland Johansson wrote:
>
> > Before:
>
> > Change oil, old oil has moisture in it and may create
surface rust
> > inside motor.
>
> > Change oil filter at same time and you don't have to think
of that
> > when you want your car again.
>
> > During:
>
> > Start car every 4-6 veeks and let the radiator fan kick in
at
> > least twice is nice.
>
>  If you are going to change the oil before storing it, why do
you
> want to contaminate the oil with combustion byproducts (acids
and
> water) every 4-6 weeks? I think that once you change the oil,
you
> should let the motor sit until you are ready to drive it
again.

A start and running of the motor so it gets hot will make shure
most possible moisture ventilates out of motor. Starting the
motor is good for getting oil up in the cylinder head and
lubricate camshaft so surface rust don't bite. Those 15 to 30
minutes of total running of the motor during the storage time
will not dirt the oil noticable. If you have the old gaskets
between oil pan and block and between cylinder head and cam
cover they will not dry out which easily happens on cars that
are standing for a few months without started.

>  Also, if you are going to simply let it sit and warm up to
the
> point it needs to kick the cooling fan on, you run the risk of
> overheating the catalytic converter (if so equipped). Extended
> idling should be avoided on cars with converters.

Better than idling is to drive it but if iit's put on jackstand
that is much work, and the car might be stored with only thieft
and fire insurance, no road insurance since you will not drive
on roads. The car is built to be able to stand in traffic jams
so a few minutes of idling will not kill your catalytic
converter. This is not extended idling, it's idling for a few
minutes