Re: My turn to bitch and moan

At 10:04 PM +0000 01/13/1998, Ryan Schuermann wrote:
>> No.  I am sure someone can.  Don't frequent this place.  Get a bandaid.
>> I've been bitten by three dogs, oh well.  Twice, it was my own fault.  The
>> other time, I scared a dog in the woods - riding my bike, startled him, he
>> bit me.  Can't blame him.  Everybody is so ready to sue these days -
>> chucklehead lawyers(only some are chuckleheads) on the TV "have you been
>> hurt in an accident?  I'll get you the money you deserve...."  COME ON!
>

>Ian,
>
>maybe the guy didnt have insurance!!! Is it his fault that some dog
>came up and bit him, causing him to pay hospital bills etc? I don't
>think so. I'd make the shop pay for all the medical bills plus pain
>and suffering..sorry but if I had to spend time away from my
>work/job/school due to some moron's dog, I'd hold him financially
>responsible for my lost wages.

That's fine.  I agree that he should pay medical bills - it is his fault
that his dog was allowed to roam freely.  And if Jason were to be out of
work, I can see some sort of compensation for lost wages.  Neither are
"pain and suffering" in my book.  The owner screwed up, he should
compensate.  He should not have to pay for anything above and beyond the
damage caused, IMHO.  That's what "P&S" is, in my understanding.

>Some people are bastards, suing them is the modern way of dueling.

If someone refuses to pay for damage they are responsible for, within
reason, they should pay for it.  If you have to sue, that's fine.  I do not
believe for a second that a defendant should have to pay exorbitant sums of
money because they screwed up - if you can prove that you lost $XX.xx, you
should get it.  I don't buy the idea that "mental anguish" or any of that
other BS is legitimate - people getting hundreds of thousands because a
twig sticking out of the snow "caused" them to fall while skiing.  Aspen
Associates are terrified after the Kennedy death.  Ski areas used to pad
lift towers, but many have taken them down, because people have hit the
pads, gotten hurt, and sued because the pad "did not do its job."  I'm not
kidding.  Some ski areas feel safer leaving towers unpadded because the
fact that they padded the tower is some sort of admission that hitting a
tower could injure if not kill someone, and if someone dies after hitting a
padded tower, the ski area is somehow responsible.  Huh?  Something like
"Did you intend to make skiing safer by padding that tower(yes), and if so,
why did our client die?"  Because it is a large, visible and immobile
object.  I've plowed two lift towers in the past, it sucked both times.
Did not even think about suing, but the scary thing is, I probably could
have and at least gotten a settlement out of court.  Not like I did not
know it was there, I rode up on the damned chair!  Same tower both times.
Suck.  You'd think I'd learn.  Twigs and trees and rocks are a part of
skiing.  Supposedly, people have put aftermarket stuff on their car,
crashed it, and looked to the manufacturer for compensation - as if the
swaybar or whatever was the reason they crashed.  It probably was the
reason this rumored idjit was going so fast - "I have a Neuspeed(or
whatever) Racing Suspension, therefore my car is infallible.  It happens,
and I am strongly against it.  Anyhow....

I.Mannix