Re: cold start problems

mine does this too, albeit not as bad as yours sounds. it only happens
around 50 degrees or under. It starts great for a few seconds and then
starts running rough. After about 40-60 seconds of running it runs like a
champ. I have an air/fuel gauge hooked up and the second it starts running
good is when the O2 sensor starts switching back and forth.
	It take a little time to heat up the o2 sensor to get the mixture right
and I assume this is causing the rough running. I also have a drilled
airbox, and i'll bet you do to (or at least you have no pre-heater hose). I
think this is the factorys fix for that problem, to get warm air into the
motor while it's cold. BTw I've got a brand new o2 sensor, so it's not
cause its old.
	Is your timing over advanced? mine is and i notice the problem lessens the
more timing I pull out of the motor.

At 09:32 PM 12/20/98 EST, you wrote:
>I've been having cold start problems for almost a year now but they have
>gotten a lot worse recently. What happens is this the car fires right up and
>runs good for about 10-15 seconds (I assume this is when the 5th injector
>stops fireing), the motor then begins to shake violently (as if running on 2
>or 3 cyl) and it wont rev cleanly. This goes on until the car warms up a
>little and then everthing goes back to normal. As I said my 5th injector
seems
>to work fine. And all my une up items and timing are in order. I have tried a
>few used warm up regulators with no change. I now need help and sugestions
>bad! HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!
>
>Nate
>
>--

Kevin Fry roccin '81 S 1.8
"You are what you drive- BMW 3-series: I wish I were important.."