6-speed trans or p&p 16v head?

Friends, Rocconians, and countrymen, lend me your ears if not your
money...

Given the choice to pick from a 6-speed transmission or a ported and
polished 16v head (on top of a 2.0l motor), which would you choose?

I realize that the 6-speed might be more expensive by a good shot.
However, I see the 6-speed as being more practical. How so? Well, first
of all it'll make my car more less high strung, will increase fuel
efficiency, and (if gear ratios are chosen correctly) will also make the
car faster because it'll be in the power band more often.

The heavily modified head's benefit is more power ergo more speed. The
question is, which pays off more in the end. Assuming that I can hoof
the bill for the tranny, I think that this is the better way to go.
Comments?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut