Re: 6-speed trans or p&p 16v head?

At 8:33 pm -0500 15/12/98, Scott F. Williams wrote:
>Given the choice to pick from a 6-speed transmission or a ported and
>polished 16v head (on top of a 2.0l motor), which would you choose?

My vote: port the head and stick some Schrick 276 cams in there.  That'll
still cost less than the 6-spd. tranny, and with the remaining difference,
swap out the .91 or .89 5th you have (or do you?) for a .75.  The head will
give you enough power to make that taller gear perform as well as save you
wear and tear.  You won't save much gas though - the 276 cams suck it down
like water :)