Re: Car Running Cold

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:04:46 -0500 Christopher Grossi <cgrossi@dwc.edu>
writes:

>    I have an 85 8v Scirocco. The car ran at normal temps during the
>summer months, but now that it's cold up here in NH, it runs
>exceptionally cold. When I say cold I mean it doesn't clear the white
>bar area on the bottom of the temp gauge. I even let the car sit for
>like 5 minutes before I drive it every time. It gets above the white
>area then, but as soon as I drive and get air flowing around the engine
>and radiator it cools right back down. Is there anyway to know what
>temp thermostat is in the car, or is it something else? I have had the
>coolant checked so I know it's not that it's too watered down and
>getting really cold.

You need to remove the thermostat to test it. Some are stamped with the
temp rating but more than likely, its not. The best way is to use the old
test method. Know how to do it?

it could also be the gauge and/or temp sender unit are not working right.
Have you grabbed the upper coolant hose after a good drive to see if it
feels hot? Is there pressure in the system? (Is the hose firm.)
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and