Car Running Cold

    I have an 85 8v Scirocco. The car ran at normal temps during the
summer months, but now that it's cold up here in NH, it runs
exceptionally cold. When I say cold I mean it doesn't clear the white
bar area on the bottom of the temp gauge. I even let the car sit for
like 5 minutes before I drive it every time. It gets above the white
area then, but as soon as I drive and get air flowing around the engine
and radiator it cools right back down. Is there anyway to know what temp
thermostat is in the car, or is it something else? I have had the
coolant checked so I know it's not that it's too watered down and
getting really cold.