Re: car dies for no apparent reason

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:25:26 -0800 (PST) Gary Moore <magritte@pobox.com>
writes:

>If you've read this far--have any suggestions?

I have and, I have. :)

> I'm thinking maybe it's
>the ignition switch, but it doesn't seem like a failing ignition switch
>would explain all of the behavior the car is displaying.

Im thinking its your battery not charging. Hear me out.

With the lights off, you can start the car, runs fine. When you turn the
lights on, there isn't enough juice to run the coil and the fuel pump too
so it dies. When you leave it off for a little while, the battery does
have a sort of recharge where it will get a little stronger than it was
when you tried to run the car before. This wont be alot stronger, but
enough to crank the engine a few times.
I suspect the problem is either your alternator, or the voltage regulator
or a combination of both. Basically you were running off the battery
until it couldn't give life support to the entire car.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and