Hunting

How can you tell when your O2 sensor is going?   When I first bought my
car, it was hunting something terrible, I replaced cap rotor wires,
plugs. and it still did it.   Confused and frustrated, I brought it to
Gorsche who let me know that parts from NAPA were all wrong and allowing
nasty arcs where they shouldn't have been.   They replaced them and the
hunting ceased, until about two months ago, it started again. Only now,
the hunting's intermitant-- sometimes it hunts, other times it's a cool
1000 RPM.   Does the O2 sensor behave erratically when failing?   I ask
this 'cause it is getting colder.   A vacume line would be a constant
hunt, right?