Re: Got me a free jetta :)

Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:

> Check the voltage at the battery when it's running. Should be over 13 volts. If
> it's not, you probably need an alternator or the field wire (blue, usually)
> that excites the alternator into starting to charge is broken or some other
> connection is bad... or your voltage regulator is kaput. Most of the time when
> an alternator isn't charging right, it's a voltage regulation problem, IME.
> If it's charging fine (over 13v) then you probably need a new battery, or you
> have a voltage drain... what's the problem? Tell us the symptoms so we can
> diagnose!
>     -Josiah

Got it all fixed,  turns out the main going from the alt.
to the starter was all toasted, and I think as a result
of the poor wires, the voltage reg. went.  So, I rewired
the whole thing with some 4 ga. and got a new regulator,
clickvroooomm :) every time.... thanks to everyone who
gave me a few tips.  Now I have to fix my sputter problem,
which I think is just o-rings and shrouds (?) but may
be clogged injectors (smells like its running rich/hot exhaust)

TTYL
Etrik