Re: Got me a free jetta :)

In a message dated 12/6/98 6:30:49 PM Pacific Standard Time, etrik@pure-
research.net writes:

>  Anybody know where I should start with the charging
>  problem?
>
>  Thanks
>  Etrik

Ha ha!  Do this:

Get some battery terminal cleaner.
Clean and recondition the battery posts and clamps.
Recondition the ground wire connections.
Add a wire from the case of the Alt. to the Eng. Block.
Check the fluid level in the battery, even maintenance free batteries may need
topping off.

There are more grounding supplementation I could go into, contact me for the
overkill method.

Verify with a meter whether you are really getting more than 12V with the car
at idle and nothing extra running. 13.5-14.5V is normal with no additional
load on the system. Do a before and after test to see what improvements are
gained.

I had what I thought was a bad battery when I got the '81 only to discover
that some reconditioning of connections and battery have brought it back to
life. In fact it would drain just from about 10-20 mins of parking only lights
and now I doubt I can kill the damn thing.

hth,
TBerk