Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:36:51 -0800
From: Kevin Collins <kevinc@flashcom.net>
To: "scirocco-l@scirocco.org" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: my project continues

I'm gonna drop my car off with the Potterman tomorrow for a bunch of
work.
I'd normally be getting stuff done by Ron Wood and his boys at VW
Specialties,
but ole Ron is SO buried in work these days, and is only open 4 days a
week,
that it's virtually impossible to even get him on the phone, much less
get in
there for some work.  So Mike has volunteered (uh, paid volunteer!) to
do the
wrench work. Speaking of Ron, have those of you here in SoCal who go to
Ron
been noticing the same thing?  He's getting too famous and busy for his
(and
our!) own good, IMO.

Jeez, I've already got about $2k into the thing (on top of the $4200 I
paid
for it) and it's got a ways to go.  Next up is Neuspeed bars (it has
some old
Eibach bars with totally shot to hell bushings on it currently), new
motor
mounts, and any and every bushing in the suspension that even might need
replacing will be.  Also new TT exhaust to replace original stock
system.
I've already had tie rods, control arms, new H&R springs, and a bunch of
other
stuff done, but I still have a squirm in the suspension that's very
pronounced.
Also I think my Bilsteins are shot, they may wind up getting replaced
too
(hopefully under warranty).  This thing's gonna have a big wad of cash
into
it by the time I'm done, but it *will* be done right!  It's already fast
as
hell, now I just want it to drive and handle as well as it scoots.

The bigger question looms - when this mechanical stuff is all done to my
satisfaction, will I spring for the mondo $4k paint job and cherry the
sucker out once and for all??  Am I nuts???  Don't answer that!

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA