Re: Installing windows

>Sorry guys for the non-rocco post;
>
>However, this will be relevant to my Scirocco when I paint it.
Anyways,
>I'm picking up my Rabbit sometime this week from the body shop.  It'll
be
>painted but windowless.  I removed all windows since they just popped
out
>without any difficulty.  Now, I need to get them back in.  The Rabbit
is an
>84 with the rubber mouldings.  Do I need a special tool to get them
back in
>or is there a special method in doing this.  The car will be freshly
>painted so I'm also afraid of scratching the paint.  Should I attempt
it or
>should i simply bring it in somewhere.  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

>Incidentally, the body shop charged me only $600 Cnd (this included a
clear
>coat finish, painted the aluminum bumpers, sanded the car down one last
>time while correcting any mistakes, and applying a sealer).  I'll let
you
>guys know how it looks when it comes out.
>

>Sal

Sal-
For the rear side and the hatch glass, get some cord or rope (I've used
speaker wire in a bind) and push it into the lip that seats into the
car. I spray some wd-40 on the seal to make it slippery. After you have
the cord all seated in the lip, all the way around (overlapping ends on
the bottom), get in the car and have a friend (holding the glass) put
the lower lip of the seal onto the lip on the car. While your helper
puts mild pressure on the glass, you can slowly pull the string straight
out, which flips the lip into the car. The whole process is detalied in
some beetle books. I can do it alone afer some practice- (I'm always
getting robbed...). I tried to tackle the winsheild on the Jetta (which
is similar to your side windows) and I smashed it in like 10 places.
Since I have no $$$, I put the Broken glass back in. ALONE! I'm so
proud...
Your winsheild is glued in, Id say save the heartache, and have a glass
shop do it.

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com

          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen